Our Favorite Chicken Fajitas recipe is an awesome weeknight family meal that's prepared in about 20 minutes! Almost faster than ordering take-out delivery! It's super quick to make with minimal prep and best served immediately from a sizzling hot skillet!
The fajita seasoning is a simple concoction of common everyday spices that are packed full of delicious flavor! This meal is always a winner in our house and devoured promptly without any protest whatsoever!
Everyone is always downright thrilled when I make our favorite Chicken Fajita recipe for dinner!
It’s also the perfect alternative for Taco Tuesday!
My kids used to request tacos every week, and “Taco Tuesday” was an easy, mindless evening dinner. However, after a few months of it being on our dinner rotation, no one could even look at a taco since we had overindulged!
Our Favorite Chicken Fajitas Recipe with Fajita Seasoning
Time needed: 20 minutes
How do you make Homemade Chicken Fajitas?
- Combine the spices into a small bowl and mix well.
Combine paprika, garlic powder, celery seed, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Season the chicken!
Coat the chicken strips with the spice seasoning using your fingers, firmly pressing it into the meat.
- Preheat the skillet and add the chicken.
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the minced garlic and seasoned chicken. Cook each side of the chicken strips for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pan leaving the oil behind. Place the meat in a bowl and set it aside.
- Toss in the veggies!
Add the cut peppers and onions to the oil in the pan and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken back to the pan.
Place the chicken back in the skillet with the vegetables, stir and cover. Stirring occasionally for 8 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Squeeze fresh lime over the chicken and stir again before serving (optional).
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Sour cream, shredded cheese, and salsa are our favorites!
Is this a reheatable meal?
Absolutely! It is one of those dishes that reheats perfectly the next day. I always double the recipe for this reason! It can be placed in a well-sealed tin foil pouch and placed in the oven at 350° until heated through. The microwave can be used for single servings and also for a faster reheating time.
Can Chicken Fajitas be made in advance?
Sure! In fact, it’s perfect for those that like to meal prep their weeknight meals over the weekend. The veggies and chicken can be cut to size prior to cooking or the whole recipe can be prepared a few days in advance and then reheated.
Easy Vegetable Prep Tip!
When storing fresh-cut vegetables in the refrigerator, use an airtight container or a zip-lock bag with a folded paper towel inserted inside. The paper towel helps keep them crisp for several days! This is a technique that both my mother and grandmother taught me. Nothing is worse than going through the trouble of prepping the vegetables ahead of time only to find them soggy when ready to use them in a recipe a few days later! This method also works wonderfully with lettuce!!
How to Serve Chicken Fajitas?
Here are some ideas for you!
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Chopped Onions
- Shredded Cheese
- Avocado or Guacamole
What to serve with Fajitas?
Our Favorite Chicken Fajitas
- Large Skillet or Wok
- 1 Lb Chicken Breast cut into strips
- 1 Whole Green Pepper cut into strips
- 1 Whole Red Pepper cut into strips
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- 1 Medium Onion yellow all-purpose
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil or canola
- ½ teaspoon Salt kosher or Himalayan
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper ground finely
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder dried and granulated
- ½ teaspoon Paprika Your favorite kind
- ½ teaspoon Celery Seed or ground dried celery
- ½ teaspoon Cumin leveled
- 6 6" Tortillas 6-inch made of flour
- ½ Whole Lime opptional
- Combine the spices. Place salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, celery seed and cumin into a bowl and mix well.
- Coat the chicken strips with the seasoning using your fingers, firmly pressing it into the meat.
- Cut the pepper into strips and the onion into quarters and then into eighths. Also, mince fresh garlic.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil to the pan. Once the oil is heated, add the minced garlic and seasoned chicken to the pan. Cook each side of the chicken strips for 2-3 minutes, until no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pan leaving the oil behind. Place the meat in a bowl and set to the side.
- Add the cut peppers and onions to the oil and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put the chicken back in the skillet with the vegetables, stir and cover. Stir occasionally for 8 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.Squeeze fresh lime over the chicken and stir again before serving (optional).
Also check out some of our other family style recipes, such as Sloppy Joes, Shepherd's Pie with Ground Beef, Oven Broiled Hamburgers, Oven Sausage with Onions and Peppers Casserole, Pork Chops with Gravy, and Savory Swiss Steak Creole!