What’s good about Sloppy Joes?
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes are the perfect combination of flavors that will make your taste buds do a little dance! The ground beef is simmered in a sweet and tangy Sloppy Joe sauce with peppers and onions.Jump to Recipe
It’s an old-school childhood favorite that can be made in a pinch of time for a quick homemade weeknight family meal that is both satisfying and yummy!
The best part about these sandwiches lies within the name because everyone gets to be sloppy at the dinner table, which can make for some interesting conversation and smiles! Sometimes the standards of proper etiquette during dinner needs to be thrown out the window!
That's right! When stressed with the world we live in, make Sloppy Joes and let everything else roll off your back! Allow the kids to be kids, and join them in that fun! We only live once!
Time to get sloppy!
Time needed: 28 minutes.
How do you make Sloppy Joe sauce from scratch?
- Chop the vegetables small in size.
So that they soften quickly and season the sauce well.
- Brown the beef and soften the vegetables together.
In a medium-sized skillet, season and brown the ground beef with salt and pepper while separating the meat to produce crumbles and softening the garlic and veggies over medium heat. About 7-10 minutes.
- Drain the grease.
Strain and discard the grease from the pan, then lower the heat to a low setting.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar. Simmer for 20 minutes before serving.
The ketchup already has some Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and vinegar in it and is a staple component in this recipe!
Much improved version than the sugary canned stuff!
So much better than using the canned or packet versions sold in the stores. Also has less sugar and can be made in less than 30 minutes!
Why is a Sloppy Joe called a Sloppy Joe?
This is a debatable question! Some say a cook named Joe of Iowa added tomato sauce to his “loose meat” and named it after himself, adding sloppy at the beginning because of the mess it can create while eating the sandwich. The term “sloppy joe” was loosely used long before the 1950s when Joe made his claim to the sandwich, as a slang term used for someone completing sloppy work.
Others believe that the sloppy sandwich originated in Key West or Cuba.
What is good to serve with Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes?
A nice Big Salad to share!
Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes
- Medium-sized skillet
- 2 Lbs Ground Beef 80% or 90% lean works well
- ½ Small Onion
- ½ Large Green Pepper red peppers or celery can be substituted
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 24 Oz Jar of Tomato Sauce your favorite brand
- ½ Cup Ketchup your favorite brand
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ Tsp Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chop the vegetables small in size, so that they soften quickly and season the sauce well.
- In a medium-sized skillet, season and brown the ground beef with salt and pepper while separating the meat to produce crumbles and softening the garlic and veggies over medium heat. About 7-10 minutes
- Strain and discard the grease from the pan, then lower the heat to a low setting.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, and vinegar. Simmer for 20 minutes before serving.
Also check out some of our other family style recipes, such as Sloppy Joes, Shepherd's Pie with Ground Beef, Our Favorite Chicken Fajitas, Oven Broiled Hamburgers, Oven Sausage with Onions and Peppers Casserole, Pork Chops with Gravy, and Savory Swiss Steak Creole!