This Roasted Tomato Feta Soup is a copycat of my favorite Trader Joe's Tomato Feta Soup, which is offered in the prepared food area of their stores. I decided to bite the bullet and figure out how to recreate the store-bought version I’ve been buying for years!
The ingredients are simple and the method is easy to follow.
A great option for those who don't want their soup to be too heavy on one flavor!
A pretty simple and straightforward recipe that is perfect for using garden tomatoes! Plus, it is vegetarian and gluten-free and can be easily made at home!
Delicious, Nutritious, Filling, and has Bold Flavor!
Roasted tomatoes are the main ingredients in this soup that add a vibrant, rich taste!
Tomatoes are also very nutritious and contain vitamin C, beta-carotene, potassium, and folate. Feta cheese has a wonderfully salty flavor that adds just the right amount of saltiness to the soup while balancing the sweetness of the roasted tomatoes in each bite!
Roasting the tomatoes draws out some extra flavor that isn't generally present in canned or jarred roasted tomatoes.
A Fresh Take on a Classic Soup Recipe!
This recipe lends warmth to my soul and is a very satisfying meal on its own as a light dinner idea. Pairs well with french bread and brie cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich to soak up every last drop from your bowl!
How to make Roasted Tomato Feta Soup
- Prepare the ingredients!
The tomatoes are cut in half, along with a few carrots and a couple of whole unpeeled garlic cloves. Then tossed in olive oil before roasting in the oven for about 40 minutes. Once that’s done the tomatoes, carrots, and garlic have the most intense sweetness and wonderful depth of flavor for this soup!
- Prepare a simple broth!
A simple vegetable broth is made using your favorite store-bought vegetable broth. Sauteed onions and spices are added to bring the broth to a new bold level that is vibrant! This is done while the tomatoes, carrots, and garlic roast in the oven to perfection!
- Purée the Roasted Tomatoes, Carrots and, Garlic!
Use a blender or food processor to purée. Work in batches for even consistency to purée the tomatoes, carrots, and garlic with a healthy ladle full of broth and feta cheese. Skim the broth to collect the sauteed onions and blend to puree.
Roasted Tomato Feta Soup
- Baking sheet
- Stock pot
- 2 Lbs Tomatos about 8 medium garden tomatoes cut in half
- 3 Medium Carrots peeled and sliced in half longways
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil extra virgin
- ½ teaspoon Salt sea salt or table salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper ground
- 3 Cloves Garlic unpeeled
- 6 Oz Feta Cheese block or crumbles
- 1 Medium Onion yellow and diced
- 32 Oz Vegetable Broth or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Paprika mild
- ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper or flakes
- ½ teaspoon Celery Seed optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. Salt and pepper the tomatoes and then toss the tomatoes and carrots in olive oil. Add the unpeeled garlic to the pan for roasting. Place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in the stockpot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is brought to heat add the diced onion and sauté until soft, stirring occasionally. About 10 minutes.
- Add the broth to the stockpot and bring to a low boil. Then add the paprika, celery seed, and red pepper and simmer on medium-low heat until the tomatoes are done roasting.
- Remove the roasted tomatoes, carrots, and garlic from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove the peel from the garlic.
- Use a blender or food processor to puree. Work in batches for even consistency to puree the tomatoes, carrots, and garlic with a healthy ladle full of broth and feta cheese. Skim the broth to collect the sauteed onions and blend to puree.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste using salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes for more heat.