What are Garden Tomatoes good for?Jump to Recipe
Ripe fresh tomatoes are the ideal element for the most delectable recipes!
It's funny because I've been eating this salad since I can remember! It all started with having a lot of fresh homegrown tomatoes from the garden that needed to be used! The abundance of them can be overwhelming when they ripen, always happening all at once!
This simple salad is a family favorite that appears frequently on our dinner table throughout the summer and into the fall season!
Garden tomatoes are excellent in the late summer. However, they do seem to ripen all at once, creating an overload of tomatoes! Fortunately, there are so many recipes that we can use them in. This is my favorite Summer Garden Tomato Salad that solves that problem!
It's a quick and easy recipe for using those beautiful tomatoes and fresh herbs from your garden!
Always a Crowd Pleaser!
Beware! Summer Garden Tomato Salad doesn’t last long in the fridge! It only takes a few minutes to whip up, making the perfect side dish to accompany almost any meal, and it’s healthy too!
Pairs well with steak, chicken, and fish dishes!
Some Variation Ideas for this Tomato Salad!
I enjoy this salad as it appears on the recipe card below, but I will occasionally add in some other ingredients such as cucumbers, capers, and feta cheese.
Intensify the flavor with salt!
Lightly salting the tomato slices with sea salt draws out and releases the juices, making them deliciously sweet! Just be careful not to use too much salt! More can always be added later.
Can you make this Garden Tomato Salad in advance?
Without a doubt! In fact, I recommend leaving it to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving, covered with plastic wrap to marinate.
It is best served on the same day. Also good on the second day, although the tomatoes may get a little mushy, but the flavoring of the dressing will be perfect!
Other Garden Tomato Recipe Ideas:
Here are some other dishes to use up those perfectly ripe homegrown tomatoes!
Panzanella Salad with Pita, Mediterranean Greek Feta Dip, Marinated Veggie Kabobs, Authentic Italian Tomato Sauce, and Grilled Cheese Tomato on a Bagel
My parents have contributed to this recipe equally, teaching me their variations over the years. I've taken what they both taught me to find my perfect variation. ❤️
Summer Garden Tomato Salad
- Cutting board
- Serving Bowl
- 1½ Lbs Fresh Home Grown Tomatoes sliced, reserve the juices from the tomatoes for the dressing
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt Coursely ground
- ¼ Small Red Onion Thinly sliced
- 1 Clove Garlic Clove minced fine
- 6 Whole Chives chopped (small handful)
- 6 Sprigs Fresh Basil chopped (small handful)
- 6 Sprigs Fresh Parsley chopped (small handful)
- ⅓ Cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 4 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar white wine or balsamic will work nicely too
- ½ teaspoon Sugar white granulated
- 2 tablespoon Leftover juices from the tomatoes or more!
- Wash and dry the tomatoes well before slicing. Lightly salt the tomato slices.
- Layer the sliced tomato slices and onion in the serving bowl.
- Mix the dressing well and pour over the tomatoes. Toss the dressing over the tomatoes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply