Easy To Make Chicken Marsala!
Chicken Marsala is so simple to make! A comforting and savory easy weeknight dinner must try! Marsala served in restaurants can be pricey. Why not prepare delicious and easy Chicken Marsala for dinner yourself? Everything is better home-cooked and even the kids will clean their plates!
This uncomplicated savory comforting recipe creates enough extra sauce to serve over egg noodles or rice. The chicken is pan-fried, and then the magic happens when adding the wine and mushrooms. It can be served as a fancy weeknight dinner, date night meal, or when hosting guests and comes together very neatly in 50 minutes or less!
The Secret to the Best Chicken Marsala
Time needed: 50 minutes.
Tips on how to make Easy Chicken Marsala
- Use a Dry Marsala wine.
Marsala wine is a fortified wine from Sicily, Italy that is commonly used for cooking that creates a nice rich earthy sauce. Make sure to buy a good quality real one, and not from the cooking section of the grocery store because they tend to taste fake. I use one from Italy called Versasi that I buy locally at the liquor store.
- When pan-frying the chicken
Be sure to pound the chicken to tenderize down to about a half-inch thickness. Then cut the chicken breast into more manageable serving sizes such as tenders.
- Use fresh mushrooms!
Fresh mushrooms such as portabella, button or, cremini act like little sponges in this dish and create layers of flavor when cooked in the wine. Jarred or canned mushrooms tend to be marinated to preserve and will give the dish an off-taste. Also because the jarred or canned mushrooms have been previously soaked, they will not absorb the flavor of the Marsala wine well.
- Don’t compromise the butter!
Butter makes everything better! Use real butter over margarine or oil as it contributes nicely to the smooth richness of the dish.
- Stir the cream in at the very end before serving
The cream is added at the end and adds a new velvety layer of depth to the already delectable sauce. Light or full flavor creams all work well! Also, lower the heat when doing so to avoid the broth separating or curdling.
What to serve with Chicken Marsala?
- Rice pilaf
- Egg noodles
- Mashed Potatoes
- Smashed Baby Potatoes
- Angel Hair
- Zucchini Noodles
- Spaghetti Squash
- Fresh Spinach Leaves
Easy Chicken Marsala
- Large Skillet
- 1 ½ Lbs Chicken Breast or chicken breast tenders
- 4 Tbsp Butter divided
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- ¾ Cup Flour all-purpose or gluten free
- ¾ Cup Dry Marsala wine from the liquor store
- 2½ Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Pint Fresh Mushrooms such as portabella, button or, cremini
- ¼ Cup Cream heavy or light
- Tenderize the chicken to about a quarter-inch to a half-inch thick and cut into tenders. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour lightly to coat.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Once heated, add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan.
- Slice mushrooms, dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
- Brown the chicken on each side for 3-5 minutes and set aside, out of the pan. This may need to be done in 2 batches depending on the size of the skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the pan and then add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes while stirring occasionally. Scrape the pan of burnt-on flour, but leave the scrapings in the pan. The scrapings help to thicken the sauce later.
- Add the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. Lower heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat and stir in the cream and simmer for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply