Smashed Baby Potatoes are a big-time hit with my kiddos and I really enjoy them too! Definitely a nice change on our dinner plates from the traditional potato side dishes, like mashed or baked potatoes. Completely packed with an awesome flavor and super simple to make too! You should try them!
I became inspired to make this dish after watching several viral videos that looked delicious. I changed it up a bit using seasoning I enjoy but the technique of “smashing” the baby potatoes is not my own and I can not take credit for that.
The potatoes need to be parboiled for a few minutes before they can be "smashed", then baked in the oven infused with seasoning and olive oil. So yummy!
How do you serve Smashed Baby Potatoes?
Can other spices be used?
You can absolutely change the spice combo using what you fancy. Use what you have on-hand and enjoy! 4-5 tablespoons of Christy’s Greek Seasoning would work well too!
What is Parboiling?
Parboiling is a process of semi-cooking the potato to soften (not fulling cooking all the way through) by boiling in water for a short time.
Smashed Baby Potatoes
- Baking sheet
- ½ to ¾ Cup Olive Oil extra virgin
- 2 Lbs Baby Potatoes red, white, or yellow!
- 1 Tbsp Celery Seed ground
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder or minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Parsley or a few sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Parboil baby potatoes in salted water. About 6 minutes.
- Drain and put in a bowl.
- The potatoes will be hot, drizzle olive oil and each seasoning, and toss to coat each potato in oil and seasoning.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Pour potatoes with oil seasoning on the baking sheet.
- Use the bottom of a cup to “smash” the potatoes.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes in the oven until light golden in color.