New England is cold in February! Kick *SS Veggie Chili seemed in order because it's comfort food that can be easily made using what I have on hand in my pantry. I stocked up on a lot of canned items during COVID19 that needed to be put to use and this chili recipe helped me do just that!
2020 was legendary, quiet frankly the craziet year of my life! The grocery store isle's bare of the essentials like bread, pasta, eggs, meats and let's not forget about the toilet paper shortage! Who would have known that toilet paper would be so hard to find? The price of these items has also skyrocketed since.....way to monopolize on a pandemic!
Canned beans were used in this veggie chili. Make sure to rise the beans before adding. This step really makes a difference as the preservatives used make them a bit slimy and in my opinion taste salty which probably is sodium. Some Canned black beans have added spices to give a "mexican flare". I'll admit I do buy them sometimes and rinse half the can. You should do what is most comfortable for you.
Rotel canned tomatoes are used in conjunction with regular canned tomatoes. Rotel has a few heat levels, I recommend the mild version if you have kids or even omitting altogether for a small jar of tomato sauce instead.
A few Potatoes are added to give depth and consistency .
Let's Make Chili!
Check out a simple step-by-step guide on How to Peel and Mince Garlic
Kick *SS Veggie Chili
- 2 Small onions
- ⅓ Cup Olive oil Enough to cover the skillet with
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 1 Green Pepper
- 2 Potatoes, Peeled and Cubed.
- 2-3 Springs Fresh Pasley or Celantro Chopped. Dried Parsley will do.
- 4 Carrots, Peeled.
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled and minced.
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 1 14.5 Oz Can of Rotel. If you have kids, use Mild or omit. Can substitute for tomatos ,diced or sauce.
- 2 14.5 Oz Cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 15.5 Oz Cans of Beans I used Black and Kidney Beans
- 1 11oz Can of Corn
- 16 OZ Vegetable broth
- 1 TSP Cumin
- 3 TBSP Chili Powder
- 3 TBSP Paprika
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream before serving.
- Dice onions, peppers, celery and carrots.
- Coat large skillet with olive oil on medium heat.
- Sauté veggies for 5 minutes or until soft. String occasionally.
- Add Vegetable broth and Parsley.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro (or parsley), potatoes, cumin , chili, paprika and all other seasonings and stir.
- Simmer, allowing all the flavors to mesh together for about 10 minutes.
- Add beans and corn. The broth will begin to cook down into the chili.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes and Serve with crusty bread