Chop Suey with Soy Sauce
It would be a crime not to share this delectable Chop Suey with Soy Sauce recipe! It's amazing how the basic ingredients in this clever recipe my mother-in-law devised years ago come together, and you may be surprised! To make this for dinner tonight, all you need is soy sauce, Parmesan cheese, celery, ground beef, stewed tomatoes, and egg noodles. It's a wonderful twist on traditional Chop Suey dishes, but it's also deliciously easy to make! I strongly think you should give it a try!
How this dish works
My brother-in-law explained to me one day when we were preparing this dish for a family gathering that celery is a water vegetable. The celery releases its water as the dish simmers, infusing the beef with flavor. Along with the stewed tomatoes and soy sauce that also play an important role in the flavor of this dish!
Sick of the same old dinners?
Do you find grocery shopping to be a chore? Do you buy the same stuff every shopping trip and make it work somehow but are feeling tired of the meals in your dinner rotation? Better yet, are you looking for something creative that will taste amazing and made using those staples you buy almost every shopping trip? — We understand what you are going through, and we’ve got you covered!
This version of a Chop Suey is a meal that my husband grew up on and craves! It's not a surprise to me that our children do too!
The first time my husband made this dish for me, I was in my 20s with an immature palette that was used to what I had become accustomed to. The fact that he was applying soy sauce to tomatoes and celery astounded me, and I seriously doubted that anything good would come of it. Boy, was I baffled by the results!
My husband comes from a large family of seven children. Money was tight when the family was young with so many mouths to feed each day. To spread meals out, MIL used commonplace staple ingredients in her recipes. It's an understatement to say I loved eating at her house and what she did with what she on hand was always great! In fact, she taught me a great deal. Her cooking was dramatically opposed to what I had learned, further enhancing the contrast in the meals I prepare for my family today.
RIP Doreen, you touched so many people, more than you realized, including myself and your grandchildren. Your recipes will live on within the family and on this blog ❤️ 👼 XOXO
Some add-in ideas we use on occasion
- Other veggies like string beans or sprouts
Chop Suey Recipe with Soy Sauce
- 1 Lb Ground beef
- 6 Stocks Celery
- 3 14.5 Oz Can of Stewed tomatoes
- ¼ Cup Soy Sauce More to taste once plated
- 12 Oz Extra Wide Egg Noodles 1 bag
- 6 Oz Grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut celery into sticks about 4 inches long.
- Add hamburger and celery a skillet and stir occasionally to brown the meat on medium heat. About 7 minutes.
- Drain the grease from the pan.
- Add the canned tomatoes, soy sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer on a lowish heat, covered. Stirring occasionally for 1 hour.
- Cook the egg noodles to al dente and drain the water. About 6 minutes.
- Using the pot to cook egg noodles, layer in half the sauce, noodles, and ⅓ of the cheese.
- Repeat this step of layering and then stir.
Leave a Reply