Gravy Should Never Fail Us
Never Fail Chicken Gravy is super easy to make with or without chicken drippings. This recipe includes a few optional variations depending on what you have on hand. Cornstarch can be used in place of flour to create a wonderful gluten-free gravy. Getting the right texture and seasoning is the key. I do recommend adding at least one or more of the optional ingredients to gain great flavor.
Check out this wonderful video on how to thicken gravy in a pinch of time for a cool trick using the microwave should your gravy need more thickening after you have begun preparing it.
Never Fail Chicken Gravy Without Drippings
- 4 tablespoon Butter
- 3 tablespoon Corn Starch or Flour
- 2½ Cups Cups Chicken Broth Chicken drippings can be substituted in place of broth.
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
Optional to Season. Use at least one.
- 1 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
- 2-3 tablespoon Splash of Dry White Wine
- 3 tablespoon Chicken Drippings
- 1 Bouillon Cube Withoiut water and equal to 1 Cup.
- Preheat saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add butter to hot saucepan.
- Shimmy in cornstarch or flour, one tablespoon at a time.
- Use a whisk to break down any lumps before adding the next tablespoon.
- Stir and cook until lightly golden brown in color to create a roux, approx 4-6 minutes.
- Add broth and season with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Add the optional splash of white wine, poultry seasoning, or drippings and simmer on medium heat.
- Stir occasionally to ensure the gravy is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat if it is.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer once the gravy thickens for a few minutes before serving.