Many people are looking for ways to decrease the number of calories in their everyday diets. Fortunately, healthy meals don't have to be tasteless or bland. Here is a meatless classic that is both healthy and low in calories and fats but not lacking in the flavor department. This Veggie Soup recipe is tomato-based and super comforting during the cold frigid days of winter. It can be served on its own or accompanied with grilled cheese sandwiches or a salad. Truly a family favorite here and super easy to make!
Can you freeze this soup?
Absolutely, seal any leftover soup in an airtight container to freeze. Reheat by simmering on the stovetop in a pan. Freezing in single portions allows for an easy lunch in the future.
Tips on making Veggie Soup
- An electric kettle to boil the water can help reduce the preparation time.
- Season with salt and pepper throughout cooking this soup to your taste preference.
- Start off with 3 bouillon cubes, adding more for a bigger flavor should you choose.
- Paprika helps heighten the depth of flavor in my opinion.
- Vegetable or Beef broth can be used in place of water.
- Tomato sauce that you might have leftover in the fridge can be substituted for the crushed tomatoes.
- Simmering longer on the stovetop is recommended.
Optional Add-in ideas
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Small can of peas
- Fresh or canned green beans
- Diced zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon basil and thyme
- Red pepper flakes to add heat
- For a thicker soup, add 5 Tablespoons tomato paste
- A few tablespoons of minute rice or small shaped pasta
- Kidney beans
Veggie Soup, A Simple Favorite
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- 3-4 Carrots chopped
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- ½ Green Pepper chopped
- 2-3 Stalks Celery diced
- 8 Cups Water
- 28 Oz Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 3-5 Red Potatoes Cubed
- 1 Envelope Onion Soup Mix
- 3-5 Cubes Beef or Veggie bouillon To Taste
- Heat butter on medium heat in soup pan
- Add garlic, carrots, onion, celery, and green pepper. Stir occasionally until veggies are soft. About 5-7 minutes
- Season with Salt and pepper to taste
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a low boil for 20 minutes.
- Simmer on the stovetop until the potatoes are tender and ready to serve. Simmering longer is always recommended.