Creamy Corn Chowder is delicious and one of my favorites! It’s made in about 30 minutes using creamed corn, potatoes, carrots, and celery. It's the perfect old-fashioned recipe for a chilly day at home and comforting just the same!
If you have made a roux before in dishes like macaroni and cheese, then this will be simple for you to put together. However, if you are not familiar with how to make a roux, I’ll walk you through the steps! It's not hard at all.
Chowder is thick and creamy, while soup is broth-based.
Creating a roux using butter, flour, and then blending cream or milk is how to make a chowder hearty and thick. In this recipe, creamed corn and parmesan cheese are also thickening agents that help with the texture too.
Add a few red pepper flakes for flavor, but don’t overload unless you are looking for a spicy corn chowder. Creole seasoning is an idea!
Bacon is another nice flavor booster. Cook the bacon separately and then add bacon crumbles towards the end of the recipe or served alongside as a topping.
Serve with some buttery crackers such as Ritz or crusty bread and pair with a salad for a complete meal.
Creamy Corn Chowder
- Medium sized soup pan
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- ½ Cup Carots peeled
- ½ Cup Onion
- ½ Cup Celery
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- 2 Cups Potatoes peeled
The Roux made separately
- ¼ Cup Butter
- ¼ Cup Flour
- 2 Cups Milk or cream
- 2 Cans Cream-Style Corn 15 oz size cans
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes to season
- ½ Cup Bacon Crumbles optional
- Dice the veggies, potatoes, and garlic small. Just a little larger than a pea in size.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a medium-sized soup pan on medium heat.
- Sauté veggies and garlic for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add 2 cups of water and the potatoes, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Then bring down the heat, cover to simmer for 10 minutes while we make the roux in the next step. Do not drain the water.
- In a separate skillet, add ¼ cup butter and melt on medium heat. Slowly shift in flour while whisking to create a roux. Continue whisking to smooth any lumps and a light golden color forms. About 4 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk or cream slowly. Stir until thick and creamy.
- Add in the cheese and also the creamed corn and stir.
- Add veggies along with the water to the skillet and stir while adding salt and pepper and a few red pepper flakes to season. Simmer on low for a few minutes before serving.